If Sterling properly interpreted Rossi - i.e. -

"According to Rossi, NI will be creating the controls to monitor and
regulate this process.  He said that their stipulation for the agreement
is that all the instrumentation for the E-Cat plants have "by National
Instruments" and logo on the instrumentation panels."

- then I am inclined to believe Jed Rothwell.

Merely selling Rossi some stock/standard software would probably not merit
NI a logo on each control panel, and I would have thought NI would have
disclaimed the credit Rossi gave them.

I am a bit more inclined to think Rossi is real, but has a very slippery
system to control which has stability problems and an optimal operating
point which bobs and weaves continuously.  If LENR is genuine, the
parameter space may be enormous, and suffer the "curse of dimensionality."
That would explain why replicating results is like looking for a needle in
a 100 haystacks.

Hopefully, he is on the level about having sold a 1-MW plant to a less
publicity-shy customer.