I think that the frequency of the outgoing down-converted photons will
remain the same whether the incoming high frequency photon is absorbed by
one atom or collectively by N-atoms.  A coherent multi-atom absorption
will create a Schroedinger-Cat-like state of one excited atom and (N-1)
ground state atoms, which should still radiate at the same lower
frequencies.  However, multi-atom absorption could result in strong
variation in emitted intensity bursts (superradiance).

But, maybe there's more to it than that.
Some anomalous down-conversion of gamma-rays were reported in the 1930s. I
do not know whether they have been explained since then.  If interested,
the papers are at:

"The Nature of the Interaction between Gamma-Radiation and the Atomic
Nucleus"
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/136/830/662.full.pdf+html

"Phenomena Associated with the Anomalous Absorption of High Energy Gamma
Radiation. II"
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/143/850/681.full.pdf+html

"Phenomena Associated with the Anomalous Absorption of High Energy Gamma
Radiation. III"
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/143/850/706.full.pdf+html