Daniel,

It could be that Hekman is subscribed to the Vortex.  He himself or
his staff simply takes any email address from his MUA  and spams them
all.  This is a very uneducated way of using the Internet.  I hope for
him there is a way to get off his spam list with instructions in the
mail you received.
If not you can sue him.

Another common technique is spidering the web using search engines
looking for email addresses close to his name or something related.
Well if that is the case you can sue him with even more reason.

mic