Jones:
Thanks for your diplomatic comments on my late night posting... I will
reread and think about them.

Trying to up the SNR a notch or two...

RE: Cooper pairs...
This is one of my pet peeves about the old, simplistic atomic models.  We
were taught the following in school/college:
- opposite charges attract, like repel
 - e- have negative charge, p+ positive charge

So how can two e- or two p+ 'pair up' (Cooper pairs; rhetorical Q, no need
to answer)?  According to the old model, which is still taught, likes repel!
Obviously, the old 'point-particle with charge' model is just too
simplistic, and should be thrown on the scrap heap! :-)  Its simplicity is
likely due to the limited instrument capabilities back when the atom was
being 'discovered'.

I'd like to propose how a Cooper pair can form, but not mathematically. One
must start with a physical model of reality and if it can explain the
observations from a qualitative point of view, then one can try to describe
the physical model quantitatively (with mathematics)... all
criticisms/comments are welcome.

An electron 'hole' (e-hole) is described as a 'vacancy' when a valence band
e- gets enough energy to jump the band-gap into the conduction band, and
that that e-hole has a *positive* charge equal to the negative charge of the
e-.  Since the valence band is nearly, or is, filled (with e-), and filled
bands (shells) always have an *even* number of electrons (which are in a
sense 'paired'?), what if that e-hole is the *other half* of the remaining
e- that is still in the valence band????

I.e., what we have been perceiving as the 'electron', is actually composed
of the e- and its e-hole, perhaps as a kind of dipolar oscillation.  To help
one visualize the physical model, let's think in terms of the vacuum of
space being under significant 'pressure' (deep in the ocean, pressure is so
hi it would crush a modern submarine like a tin can!).  Then what we have
been calling the e- is a region of slightly higher pressure, and the e-hole
is a region of equal but lower pressure (than ambient vacuum).  Together,
they form what is a *true* (complete) electron.  And I don't think that they
are separable; the high pressure region only exists because there is its
opposite (low pressure region) on the opposite side of the nucleus;
oscillations between the high/low occur at, say, 10^21 per second.  Now it
is easy to see that two 'true' electrons which are 180degs out of phase
would be attracted to each other and form a cooper-pair.  High pressure
region of one seeks the low pressure region of the other... qualitatively,
it *naturally* and *physically* explains the pairing of 'like charges'; no
need for special mathematical machinations.

Finally, how does one detect a 'hole' anyway????  Were the instruments back
then that were used to 'detect' and 'prove' the existence of an electron,
even capable of detecting an electron hole???  Can we do that even today, or
are 'holes' just postulated or assumed to exist to make the mathematics work
out?

-Mark