J.

From: James Bowery

Something that occurs to me about the emergence of a negative coefficient of
temperature at high loading of hydrogen in metallic lattices is that it may
be related to the stress imposed by that loading.  If stress reaches a point
where charge carriers to emerge, then increasing the temperature may enhance
the emergence of those carriers.

The emergence of charge carriers with stress is theorized to occur in
igneous rock:

Stress-Induced Changes in the Electrical Conductivity of Igneous Rocks and
the Generation of Ground Currents

Author:Friedemann T. Freund, Akihiro Takeuchi, Bobby W. S. Lau, Rachel Post,
John Keefner, Joshua Mellon, and Akthem Al-Manaseer

Abstract

    If we can ever hope to understand the non-seismic signals that the Earth
sends out before major earthquakes, we need to understand the physics of
rocks under increased levels of stress. In particular we need to understand
the generation of electrical currents in the ground. We have begun to study
how electrical conductivity of igneous rocks changes under stress and what
types of charge carriers are involved. We show that quartz-rich granite and
quartz-free anorthosite both generate electronic charge carriers when
subjected to stress. The charge carriers are positive holes (p-holes), i.e.,
defect electrons on the oxygen anion sublattice. They spread out of the
stressed rock volume, the "source volume", into the surrounding unstressed
rocks. Time-varying ground currents are required to generate pre-earthquake
local magnetic field anomalies and low-frequency electromagnetic emissions.
We posit that stress-induced activation of p-hole charge carriers and their
outflow from the source volume is the basic process by which ground currents
can be generated in the Earth's crust. We propose that the arrival of
p-holes at the Earth's surface leads to changes in the ground potential that
may induce ionospheric perturbations. We further propose that the build-up
of high electric fields at the ground surface can ionize the air, hence
cause ion emission and corona discharges. When p-holes recombine at the
ground surface, they are expected to form vibrationally highly excited O-O
bonds. The de-excitation of these O-O bonds will lead to stimulated mid-IR
emission, which may explain the reported pre-earthquake "thermal anomalies"
identified in satellite images.

Key word:Pre-earthquake phenomena, Electrical conductivity, Stress, Magnetic
field, Ionization, EM emission, Thermal anomalies

  _____

 <http://tao.cgu.org.tw/center/article_download_one.php?id=530xv153p437>
Full_Text(pdf)