I continue to be amazed how *convinced* people can be by incomplete and inconclusive evidence. That takes place in all directions and all sides.

I looked at the thread cited. As cited, it's definitely not a proof of anything, there would need to be some precedent conditions. However, those who are familiar with the whole sequence, or certain critical parts of it, might well know enough. But that complete evidence hasn't been presented. The result is that people may believe what they choose to believe. My advice is to believe nothing, as to absolute belief. Make routine judgments as to where to place your money, your feet, or your reputation, and it's not necessary to have complete evidence to do that. But don't present your conclusions as if they were proof of anything but your own opinion.

Physicists who rejected LENR in 1989-1990 because it seemed impossible to them may have been making a decision that was reasonable given what they knew, and the error was in over-exclusion of evidence contrary to their beliefs, and incomplete study of the foundations of their beliefs. Nevertheless, in those early days, there were lots of reasons to remain *very* skeptical.

"Very skeptical" is not the same as certainty as to bogosity. That certainty never existed with cold fusion, as to what would reasonably be considered "scientific consensus," i.e., the judgment of those who became reasonably informed. Read the 1989 and 2004 U.S. DoE reports and see if it's reasonable to conclude that there was *certainty of bogosity.* There wasn't, not even in 1989, and by 2004, experts, including some major fraction (as much as one-third) who, from their comments, weren't going to accept cold fusion if it bit them in the nose, were about evenly divided on the issue of some significant anomaly being involved. The conclusion that further research was needed and actually recommended was unanimous in 2004, and that wasn't -- as I've seen some skeptics claim -- mere "boilerplate." In 1989, yes, it was a politically forced conclusion, the Nobel Prize-winning co-chair threatened to resign if that moderate language wasn't included. Smart man.

What's the problem with the conclusion that "Greg" and "Aussie Guy" are the same? The problem is that if some person, with a created pseudonym, claims to be "So-and-So," on the Internet, we don't know it is actually that person. Presumably, from the history, and assuming that those writing here aren't lying, there is a real "Greg."

Yet I have seen, in Usenet posts, for example, straw puppets, users claiming to be such and such a person, with such and such views, when the user was actually the opposite, an enemy, and was attempting to expose and humiliate.

I obviously don't know that this is the case here, and my sense is that "Keef" is right; if Keef is right, the comments about obsession are way out of place. When we have rare and unusual knowledge, that could be important for the protection of users, we have a special obligation to reveal this information. Judging someone who does this as "obsessed" is downright rude. Possessing special knowledge is not "obsession." There are other traits that would have to be examined, and for what purpose? Do we suggest that users who are "obsessed" should be booted from the list? Or that what they tell us should be discounted as the ravings of a lunatic?

If there are people actually considering investing with "Aussie Guy," these allegations should be known, so that people can make up their own minds. Everyone should be aware of how unreliable information found here and elsewhere on the internet can be.