An earlier, easier to read paper --

"Low-energy nuclear reactions and the leptonic monopole"
by Georges Lochak, Leonid Urutskoev
http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LochakGlowenergyn.pdf

-- gives more graphics on the experimental set up.

The authors claim the effect is robust, repeatable and seems to be a bulk
phenomenon as opposed to a surface one.  Isotopic changes even appear in
large fissile atoms which lead the authors to search for quite elaborate
fission-fusion combinations to explain the missing radiation and neutron
emissions.

Apparently, in a section written by the second author (Urutskoev) they
speculate why this finding is ignored:

"One might ask: If Lochak’s theory is correct, why has it garnered so
little interest for twenty years? The answer is obvious. French physicists
are deeply convinced that all genuine physical theories can only be
developed outside France. Other physicists usually do not read scientific
publications in French. Because of that Lochak’s works are not known to
academics.
A more profound reason is that the Standard Model does not need the
leptonic magnetic monopole. Today's physics are dominated by the
dictatorship of democracy. Let us explain that using a simple example.
About five years ago a CERN paper was published which had around 600
authors. The list of authors was longer than the article itself. As to the
authors of the present report, we believe that a new idea may come to one
head or at most two heads, but in no way to 600 heads at the same time.
Bearing in mind that theorists and experimentalists tend to consider the
Standard Model impeccable (something like a holy icon), you will
understand the attitude to Lochak’s theory."

One interesting excerpt from the original arxiv.org paper cited below is:

"... several remarkable effects :
1) The appearance of an astonishingly stable lightning ball (50 times the
duration of the discharge) with a very complex optical spectrum, showing
the rays of various chemical elements, many of which were initially absent
from the laboratory installation ..."

One earlier Russian paper -
"Development of Atomic and Nuclear Processes in a Laser-Produced Plasma"
http://www.maik.ru/full/lasphys/98/2/lasphys2_98p438full.pdf
- suggests that intense laser beams (> 3.4 X 10^16 W/cm^2) may knock inner
shell electrons into atomic nuclei making them neutron-rich isotopes with
hard to predict results.

Is it possible the "lightning ball" was due to some unusual localized
lasing effect leading to the theorized isotopic changes?

- Lou Pagnucco