[quote]The intuition of Rossi (but his, Stremmenos too) to use Ni powder
instead of Ni rods as stubbornly insisted Piantelli (trying to optimize the
effect with adequate geometric forms) was based on the simple observation
that transmutations take place only on the surface- ergo for increasing
these effects clearly nuclear we have to increase the surface we have use
powders of Ni or of some other transition metals konown to give the cold
fusion effect due to their common crystalline structure.[endquote]

Some believe that it is the surface preparation of the Rossi
micro-particles that cause transmutations to occur on the surface of the
micro-powder.

But in the Piantelli experiments, there is no micro-cavity surface
preparation and transmutation still is restricted to the surface of the
bulk material. The reaction rate of the Piantelli experiments is
proportional to the surface area of the bulk material used.

One way to explain the exclusivity of transmutations on the surface of the
nickel powder/bar is that a powerful electrostatic field is projected onto
the surface of the metal which provides a coulomb barrier screening
mechanism directly to the top layers of the nickel atoms on the surface of
the metal. This electrostatic field does not penetrate into the bulk of the
micro powder which explains why transmutation to copper does not occur in
the interior bulk of the powder.

The source of this electric field is the coherent and highly polarized
Rydberg molecules/crystals that float near the surface of the nickel.

This dipole field is very powerful with a strength that can exceed
1,000,000,000,000 times the dipole strength of a hydrogen atom in the
ground state.

This power is provided by a 1000 atom crystal at a principle quantum
excitation number of 100.