I've copied this from ecat news.

A very interesting Comment on the e-catworld.com Blog from a user called
“Fluffy”.
It’s about the secret element used in rossi’s e-cat (and maybe in defkalions
hyperion).

He thought it’s Tungsten (Wolfram) -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten

“Rossi’s Possible Tungsten Line at 8.31 keV

In Andrea Rossi’s original patent application

http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/search/en/detailPdf.jsf?ia=IT2008000532&docIdPdf=id00000009056757&name=%28WO2009125444%29METHOD%20AND%20APPARATUS%20FOR%20CARRYING%20OUT%20NICKEL%20AND%20HYDROGEN%20EXOTHERMAL%20REACTIONS&woNum=WO2009125444&prevRecNum=1&nextRecNum=2&recNum=1&queryString=&office=&sortOption=&prevFilter=&maxRec=

there are two charts that show the results of an XRF (X-ray
fluorescence)spectrum analysis on a sample of used powder from an E-Cat unit
that had been in operation for an undisclosed period of time. Although many of
the elements found in the analysis are labeled on the chart, one significant
“spike” or “line” is not. This anomalous line could possibly be the element
tungsten.

XRF fluorescence works by subjecting the material to be tested to x-rays, that
can knock electrons out of their orbit in the atoms of the sample material.
When another electron moves in to fill the gap produced by the missing
electron, a photon is emitted. By measuring the energy of these photons (in keV
or kilo-electron volts) and how many are produced, you can determine the
composition of a sample of material. A chart produced using the data from an
XRF spectrum analysis will show a spike or line for each element present. When
there is very little of an element in a sample of material these spikes will be
small, and perhaps hard to distinguish from “noise” or other elements. However,
when there is a lot of a specific element in a sample, the spike or line will
have a significant amplitude.

The two charts in Rossi’s patent show many lines, some of which indicate a very
significant amount of certain elements. All of the lines that seem to be
significant are labeled, except one. If you look at the following chart from
his patent you will see that there is one line that is not labeled. This line
is between the lines of Nickel and Zinc, and it sits at about 8.3 electron
volts.

There have been a few comments on the web about this graph. The following is
from the comments section in a story posted on ecatnews.com.

http://ecatnews.com/?p=829

“I went back and counted pixels with MS Paint to do a more thorough job of
identifying this component.

It’s not Copper at all. It’s Tungsten.

The material is a Ni-W-Zn alloy metal foam.”

There are also comments on various websites about how Tungsten can behave like
a catalyst, and is used in atomic hydrogen torches to separate molecular
hydrogen into atomic hydrogen. I remember Rossi stating on his blog that
Tungsten is not used in the E-Cat, when asked a question about it. However,
after searching his blog at the Journal of Nuclear Physics, I cannot find that
comment.

To try and figure out if the anomalous line in this chart could be Tungsten, I
did some digging on the internet. As a non-scientist I did not understand
everything. However, I did find out that Tungsten has a keV signature that is
close to the 8.3.

According to a chart on this website
http://www.xrfresearch.com/technology/xrf-spectra/182-xrf-spectrum-tungsten.html,
 one of Tungsten’s possible signatures is 8.39 keV. This is close to 8.31,
which is what I calculated by studying the chart from Rossi’s patent. Also, I
found a few references to Tungsten having a signature of 8.3 keV.

It seems like the line between nickel and zinc in the chart could be Tungsten.
There are other possibilities, including copper and nickel. However, if that
line was copper or nickel, I wonder why it was not labeled? It does not make
sense to me that they would not label the line as copper or nickel, if that was
the identity of the element. What would make sense to me, is if the element was
Tungsten, and they did not label it as such to try and hide the fact Tungsten
is used in the powder.

So if this line is Tungsten, how does it fit into what we know about what we
have been told about Rossi’s catalyst?

1) Tungsten is not a precious metal. This fits what we have been told, that no
precious metals are used in the E-Cat.

2) It has a very high melting point at 3422C which is much higher than the
melting point of nickel which is around 1400C. Since we have been told the
temperature inside the E-Cat reactor core routinely reaches 1600C, perhaps the
addition of Tungsten increases the melting point of the powder inside the
E-Cat. Something needs to increase the melting point, because when the nickel
melts inside of an E-Cat the reaction sites are destroyed, and the nuclear
reactions end. A blend of nickel and Tungsten could be what allows for the
E-Cat to operate at higher temperature than the melting point of nickel.

3) We also know that tungsten can be a catalyst in various applications,
including helping to produce atomic hydrogen. We have been told that the
catalysts in Rossi’s system help produce atomic hydrogen, which can then
interact with the reaction sites on the nickel powder. Could tungsten produce
atomic hydrogen in an E-Cat?

4) If I remember correctly, Tungsten has been used in other cold fusion systems.

Rossi made an interesting comment on his blog. He stated the following.

Andrea Rossi
February 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Dear Helmut H.:
Not only MIT, but many others. Many copies derived from our patent application
have been made, this is why the competition is on the market: who will be able
to produce the best at the best price will win.
Warm Regards,
A.R.

If copies can be derived from the patent application, does that mean that it
might have information about the catalysts?

I am hoping that there are people who read E-Catworld that understand more than
I do about physics, that can determine the identity of the anomalous line. If
we can determine what it is and if tungsten really is used in the E-Cat, it
could help us better understand this amazing technology.”

Mark Goldes
Co-founder, Chava Energy
CEO, Aesop Institute
301A North Main Street