> Can anyone recommend economical software packages that allow one to assemble
> batches of individual/still graphics into an animated video clip

imagemagick is probably the easiest way to do this.

If you have real research, why not just make a PDF with latex and post
on arXiv?  That's certainly KISS, and you don't have to worry about
hosting.

On my own site I host a bunch of PDFs that I've written, and I find it
easiest in this case to just write the HTML by hand.  No weird
programs to install, low server load, etc.