There are several reasons why Rossi's and DGT's devices are suspect in my
opinion, but all of them would become moot if a self sustaining mode were
demonstrated in which they ran without the power connected and for a very long
period of time.  I am always concerned about a heat pump simulator type of
device.  In these systems the output heat energy is several times the input
electrical energy but they can not produce excess energy if operated in a loop
where one acting as a heat engine generator combination powers the other.  The
excess heat appearing at the output is obtained from the environment and does
not represent any new energy.

I agree that there may be subtle reasons why an early prototype might not be
able to power itself, but a high power system such as the ECAT followed by a
generator should not exhibit this problem.  The relatively low COP of the ECAT
does complicate the issue, but the specified value of 6 should be adequate as
long as the output temperature and pressure can drive a generator efficiently.
It does concern me that the ECAT performance is dangerously close to that of a
high efficiency heat pump.   DGT indicates that their Hyperion device has far
more gain and the heat pump equivalent would not apply.

You are correct that my suggestion that an useful energy source should supply
its activation power is too broad.  Many devices depend upon external energy
sources such as solar or wind and would not operate on their own.  I suggest
that a device of the mechanical nature discussed which is an electrical
generator should fall into the category of self powering and thus self
sustaining.

Dave