*The Chinese have temporarily cornered the market by driving others out of
the business. Naturally, they will jack up the cost and try to hurt the
Japanese manufacturers. Any business would do that if they could get away
with it.*

I agree, the Chinese have used the supply of rare earths to corners the
green energy market. China wants to be the world’s exclusive provider of
green energy.  Recently, when the US invested $3 billion to jump start
solar, China invested $30 billion as a counter.

Why should the US do anything different from China? After all, The US sells
oil on the international market at the price OPEC sets. If the US wants to
be a player in green energy, they would be out of their heads to sell Japan
the keys to the green kingdom at rock bottom prices.

The US will build the windmills and solar panels and sell them to Japan at
the price that China sets (AKA international cartel). Why would the US want
Japan or Germany as competitors in the Green energy market?

The US does not want to lose the green market to Japan or Germany. Remember
the US wants jobs, jobs, jobs… especially green jobs and they will use rare
earths as leverage to get those jobs... which is, if they are smart…America
hasn’t been too smart in international trade strategy of late so if they do
the smart thing…the RIGHT thing… is another question.