Robert Lynn <robert.gulliver.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

A space-elevator must climb about 40000km, even at 200km/hr that will
> take more than a week . . .

For freight, this is a non-issue. It takes a week or more to ship goods
from China to the U.S. but that does not bother anyone.

Note that after a few days of travel, the force of gravity is greatly
reduced and the climber puts little strain on the ribbon. Therefore, on a
200 ton capacity ribbon, 35-ton payload climbers can be dispatched every
7.5 hours. You can have 24 at a time on the ribbon. (E&W, p. 168)

and requires a huge amount of power to be
> supplied to the climber.

This can be done with ground based lasers and a photo array. It is not a
huge amount of power.

>  That makes it a very slow and expensive
> method . . .

The energy cost is small. With cold fusion it would be nonexistent. E&W
note that small fusion reactors would be ideal. They were not aware of cold
fusion.

> for getting mass into space with huge maintenance and capital
> costs dominating any potential savings from energy efficiency.

The maintenance and capital costs would be 2 to 5 orders of magnitude
cheaper than any other method, once the thing is scaled up and many tracks
are installed. The initial costs are high. Roughly $8.3 billion for the
first 2 ribbons, of 13 ton capacity.

An ideal practical system would have 2 large ribbons (200-ton) and one or
two small ones (13-ton). The 13-ton would be the pilot ribbon. The big ones
are the up-track and the small one is the down-track, for empty crawlers or
2-passenger crawlers. That's roughly $17 billion. That would allow 500
trips per year with 35 tons each, and a daily cost of maintenance and ops.
of around $2 or 3 million.

> Additionally the materials issues are likely beyond our abilities to
> solve, we have had nanotubes for 20 years, yet our inability to find a
> suitable matrix to join them means that we can still not even equal
> the strength of carbon fibre composites.

How much money has been invested in this research? That may be like saying
that little progress has been made in cold fusion. It seems likely the
problem can be fixed. We just need someone like Rossi to come along. Only,
let us hope he or she is a more reasonable human being.

> The near earth space environment is really nasty, with atomic oxygen
> that will eat away the carbon, micrometeoroids that will very
> frequently impact and damage the cable (even <1mm can be catastrophic
> at >1km/s, . . .

Not according to E&W. That isn't to say they are right, but they have
studied these issues longer and more carefully than you have, so you should
read their book before commenting. (The book is "The Space Elevator")

and we can't track stuff that small).

We can if the sensors are in crawlers on a spare track, in space, set there
to intercept the junk.

> Space junk is a huge
> issue, that is only getting worse and is expected to get into
> catastrophic run-away territory in the next few decades as satellites
> start to collide with each other and create ever increasing clouds of
> shrapnel.

A specially constructed climber on a 13-ton track could be the ideal way to
fix this problem, by eliminating the junk completely. It would not have use
the track full-time. It could be lowered for periodic down-traffic of empty
crawlers that pile up at the terminal.

Another method is to launch LEO rockets from a specially designed 200-ton
heavy-duty crawler that goes only 100 to 200 km up before launching, then
comes back to earth, clearing the ribbon for regular traffic. This can be
done in a few hours. It would be far cheaper than present-day methods.

E&W describe this in some detail. The problem has to be fixed in any case.
We might as well use the cheapest and best method.

> But there is probably a better option:
>
> A partial elevator that bridges a few hundred to a few thousand km
> between a higher space station and a very low space station that skims
> along at 120-150km altitude.

That is an interesting idea. But if you have the carbon material that can
do this, it can probably be used for a full elevator, so why not build the
whole thing?