On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

 All of this behavior is due to the effects of attraction caused by the
> nonlinear inverse square law.  The material outside of the galaxies thus
> appears to be repelled ever faster and stronger as the distance increases.
> I have long wondered if this effect is the root for the expansion of the
> universe.   Instead of being some form of negative energy, maybe it is just
> the reduction in the gravitational energy present within the original mass
> distribution.

I have also wondered about the theorized increasing rate of expansion of
the universe.  I have no reason to question it, in particular, although I
do find the dark matter and dark energy explanation an amazing and
miraculous one.  I don't see how physicists can allow such an explanation
and simultaneously have such difficulty with the possibility of LENR,
whatever the mechanism.

I have wondered, however, whether there might not be an assumption that
could be leading us astray with regard to the expansion of the universe.
 One question is how much the purported increase in its rate relies upon
the speed of light being a constant.  If the speed of light changed over
time, this might provide a different basis for the red shift observations.

I'm not sure what other problems a changing speed of light would cause, or
whether it would even be detectable.  The speed of light is so woven into
the fabric of our measurements that it seems possible that you would have
no way of knowing that it was changing over time, and the red shift data
would be due to something else.

Eric