I read a fascinating article and paper recently:

"Research Reveals Why Spammers Claim They're Nigerian

A new paper claims obvious spam email is used to weed out all but the most
gullible people online."

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/06/20/nigerian_spam_email_why_spam_email_is_so_obvious_.html

This is about a Microsoft research paper:

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

This is a brilliant analysis. I have never heard of the idea before. The
gist of it is in the headline: Internet scammers living in the U.S. often
claim to be Nigerian bankers, and they make up the most outrageous,
hackneyed and unbelievable stories. They want to eliminate all but the most
gullible potential victims. Here is the title and abstract from Microsoft:

"Why do Nigerian Scammers Say They are from Nigeria?

ABSTRACT

False positives cause many promising detection technologies to be
unworkable in practice. Attackers, we show, face this problem too. In
deciding who to attack true positives are targets successfully attacked,
while false positives are those that are attacked but yield nothing.

This allows us to view the attacker’s problem as a binary classification.
The most profitable strategy requires accurately distinguishing viable from
non-viable users, and balancing the relative costs of true and
false positives. We show that as victim density decreases the fraction of
viable users than can be profitably attacked drops dramatically. For
example, a 10× reduction in density can produce a 1000× reduction in the
number of victims found. At very low victim densities the attacker faces a
seemingly intractable Catch-22: unless he can distinguish viable from
non-viable users with great
accuracy the attacker cannot find enough victims to be profitable. However,
only by finding large numbers of victims can he learn how to accurately
distinguish the two.

Finally, this approach suggests an answer to the question in the title.
Far-fetched tales of West African riches strike most as comical. Our
analysis suggests that is an advantage to the attacker, not a disadvantage.
Since his attack has a low density of victims the Nigerian scammer has an
over-riding need to reduce false positives. By sending an email that repels
all but the most gullible the scammer gets the most promising marks
to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ratio in his favor."

I expect similar predation strategies exist in nature. A gray hawk nests
close to my house. She often flies just above the trees, in a straight
line, making an ungodly noise that every prey animal for a mile around
knows that only a hawk will make. It is as if she is announcing her
presence, speed and vector. It is the opposite of the stealthy
sneak-up-and-grab technique of a cat. It is more like what a pack of wolves
will do. I assumed this was flush out animals and birds that panic. Maybe
not. Maybe it is form of the Nigerian scam strategy. The hawk drives off
the fast prey animals, leaving only slow, immature, sick or old animals
lagging behind, which are the preferred targets for any predator.

To bring this discussion on topic --

When I read this, I could not at first think of why it bothered me. Then I
realized. I have often said that Rossi could not be a con-man because he
inspires no confidence. On the contrary, he makes most people I know want
to run for the exits. Now I wonder . . . could it be that he *is* a
con-man, and he is using a predation strategy similar to these fake
Nigerians.