Lanthanum has a low work function which can be lowered even further if
oxygen is added. Lanthanum oxide is now used in welding rods to replace
thorium because of its low work function(2.5 eV). The powder used in this
experiment may be contaminated with oxygen. This might indicate that low
work function is a factor in nickel based LENR.

Cheers:   Axil