Here is an alternate theory that

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0503158v1.pdf

*The Casimir Effect and the Quantum Vacuum*

* *

*In discussions of the cosmological constant, the Casimir effect is often
invoked as decisive evidence that the zero point energies of quantum fields
are “real”. On the contrary, Casimir effects can be formulated and Casimir
forces can be computed without reference to zero point energies.*
**
* *

*They are relativistic, quantum forces between charges and currents. The
Casimir force (per unit area) between parallel plates vanishes as a, the
fine structure constant, goes to zero, and the standard result, which
appears to be independent of a, corresponds to the a→¥ limit.*

In the standard theory, the Casimir force is the  zero point energy as
calculated
by computing the change in the zero point energy of the electromagnetic
field when the separation between parallel perfectly conducting plates is
changed. The result, of the casimir force equation seems universal,
independent of everything except ¯*h*, *c*, and the separation, inviting
one to regard it as a property of the vacuum. This, however, is an
illusion. When the plates were idealized as perfect conductors, assumptions
were made about the properties of the materials and the strength of the QED
coupling a, that obscure the fact that the Casimir force originates in the
forces between charged particles in the metal plates.

This is another way at looking at it.

Cheers:   Axil