Eric,

having an old friend who is/was editor of two respected scientific journals, I
have always had my quibbles with her.
That the peer-reviewing process is a thing of the past, and the profit journals
make out of that, are just obscene.

If You are an editor, and are paid some sum for it, it is difficult to question
the whole edifice.

Now the the leading publishers (Elsevier, Springer,...) seemed to overbid their
hand.
The counterprocess is very slow, with the matemathicians being in the lead, and
eg the Max Planck society encouraging its scientists to publish elsewhere.

Now we all know here, that something is rotten in the state of 'peer-reviewing'.
But there currently is no established alternative.

Science is an eminently hierarchical enterprise, with the reviewers and editors
being some sort of grey eminence, which actually are not known by name.(The
editors are, ofcourse, the reviewers not)  It is basically the editor and the
advisory board, which determine who is the competent decider (reviewer)  wrt
what is valuable in the field.
In ordinary life on would call that incest.

On the other hand, open access maybe a good thing, but adds confusion, and does
not fit well with the established method of selecting the 'best', which is
eminently hierarchical.

Guenter