To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>; <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Blather in the mass media makes scientists think we are crazy

At 08:42 PM 8/9/2012, Jojo Jaro wrote:
Baloney.  This is your opinion proffered as law.

Nothing more than a bunch of BS. A Natural Born US citizen is one with both US citizen parents and born on US soil. Period. Stop the lies.

That opinion was rejected more than a hundred years ago.

There are some interesting legal issues here, but they are utterly of no practical consequence. The position that both parents must be "US citizens" is utterly without foundation, it's made up.

The case of a U.S. Citizen mother and a non-citizen father, with the child born outside the U.S., is a marginal one and it's not clear how a court would decide. Does the law in effect in 1961 apply? If later law essentially defines "natural born" differently -- as it does --, does this reach back and define as "natural born" for purposes of the constitutional requirement, according to the current definition?

Some statements I've seen of the current law imply that it is not retroactive, so if this is true, then Obama would not be a natural born citizen, since his mother was three months short of her 19th birthday, which is the age required under the old law for the birth to be automatic citizenship.

Jojo seems to be requiring that the constitutional provision have some kind of "original intepretation," but it's entirely unclear what that was. The original clause, from what I've seen, was inserted at the last minute and without explanation.

What I've been asserting is what a U.S. court would be likely to decide, based on precedent. Jojo seems to belong to a "fundamentalist" school of law, that presumes that there is some "constitutional law" that exists separately from how the courts interpret it. And anyone who sides with the court's actual interpretation, as confirmed over, say, more than a century, is a liar.

It's fanaticism, pure and simple.

The marginal case is irrelevant, because Obama will be considered by any court, unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat, as being born in the U.S., specifically in Hawaii, in 1961. It's established by the required documentation, and anyone who thinks that the courts will disregard the documentation, absent a clear showing of fraud, is seriously deluded.

The U.S. Supreme Court has, to my chagrin, made decisions that were motivated by results rather than the facts and law and precedent in a case, but a decision removing a sitting President based on what has been alleged is far, far worse than anything I've ever seen them do. Even if it were actually shown that Obama were born in Kenya, for example, the Court would be highly likely to refuse the case, citing res judicata, that the matter was decided by Congress in certifying the election results. Congress has the right -- and responsibility -- to consider eligibility.

Congress could also impeach, if there was Presidential misbehavior involved, and forging documents would probably be considered misbehavior. That is a reason why the forgery is exrremely unlikely. It's difficult to imagine anything that might be on the document that would be worth risking his presidency over. People have claimed that the father might be different, and that he couldn't stand the heat of that. Highly unlikely, folks, even if it were true.

(On the other hand, I'd have thought that a sitting President was constitutionally protected from prosecution, and the Court, not so long ago, allowed a sitting president to be thoroughly harassed over matters that were entirely distracting from the business of the Presidency.)

Notice how the birther claims are essentially all over the map. What's consistent about them is that "there is something wrong."

There usually is, if you look hard enough. That is, you can always find something that *looks wrong.* It just takes persistence. Look at what I found about the long form. All kinds of ridiculous claims, presented as if they established some kind of strong suspicion of "wrong." And nothing more there than the kinds of oddities that commonly occur.