At 06:03 PM 8/17/2012, Daniel Rocha wrote:
6.2*10^7 neutrons per 5 min means 200 thousand neutrons per second. If each one carries 1MeV, that means 3*10^-10^-8J. There's about 3*10^7s every year, which means about 1Joule of radiation emitted per year.

According to wikipedia:

" The <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Commission_on_Radiological_Protection>International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) recommends limiting artificial irradiation of the public to an average of 1 mSv (0.001 Sv) of effective dose per year, not including medical and occupational exposures.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millisievert#cite_note-ICRP103-0>[1]" Where 1 Sv = 1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule>J/<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram>kg =1Gy

If those 62 million mean the total estimated from the source, given an isotropic distribution, it means 1000x above maximum background levels.

According to this entries:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation-induced_cancer>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation-induced_cancer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning

It is hard to figure out the effects, at least for me, of such exposure for a long time. But, they are surely deadly.

That does not appear to be so.

First of all, an unconfirmed report of a burst or even steady neutron radiation, doesn't establish much. Such reports have been in error before.

However, given the value reported, and the (very rough) calculation done by Daniel, implying 1 joule/year, that is 1 joule for the full emission, not 1 joule absorbed by a body. To get the full emission in a body, you'd have to swallow the source, and it would have to all be absorbed, not escaping. Please don't do that.

Neutrons produce interesting effects. 1 MeV neutrons are not well-absorbed. I don't know the absorption cross-section for 1 MeV neutrons, but high-energy neutrons are highly penetrating, and until they interact, they mostly do nothing. You cannot translate directly from total emitted energy to total absorbed energy.

1 mSv would be 1 J/kg of fully absorbed radiation. I'd think one would want to limit radiation exposure to *every kilogram in the body* to this level. A 1 joule per year neutron source would produce an absorbed dose far under that for a kilogram at a distance. Easily this might be under 1 mSv per year. But I'd certainly defer to more accurate calculations.

Most cold fusion experiments, especially PdD ones, do not produce any substantial neutron radiation, the levels found are close to background, sometimes elevated above background to be detectable, but not much beyond that!

I have not read this particular report yet, so this is not a comment on it, just on the assertion that this level of radiation would be deadly. Probably not. But don't sleep with your specially-neutron-producing cold fusion experiment!