No likely to be true.  Both paths should have the same yields.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 4:43 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Question About Conservation of Energy In Plasma Transitions

What I don’t understand is if this is possible:
1 - 4He + 4He → 8Be(-93.7kEV)
2 - Be8 -> 2He4(18.074 MeV)
If this reaction is possible, and if this is what recombination is, where does
the 18 MeV come from.
Axil

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

When the electrons fall back into their ground states we can comfortably assert
that the photons emitted will equal the energy input.

This is a bad assumption.
If two helium atoms fuse about 18 MeV is produced along with a positron and a
neutrino. I do not understand this reaction. Maybe someone can help.
http://everything2.com/title/proton-proton+chain
In the  PPIII stellar fusion reaction, Steps 1 through 3 can be replaced by the
first half of the triple alpha stellar fusion process
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-alpha_process
Explicitly
1 - 4He + 4He → 8Be(-93.7kEV)
2 – 8Be + proton → B8 (0.135 MeV)   - other possible reactions involver
electron and hydrogen capture.

3 - B8 -> Be8 + positron + neutrino (followed by spontaneous decay...)
4 - Be8 -> 2He4(18.074 MeV)
We start out with two helium atoms and we end up with two helium atoms but
about 19MeV of additional energy is produced.
Where does this energy come from?
J. Rohner says that he stops the triple alpha stellar fusion process before a
third helium atom is fused. He calls this process recombination as the Be8
fissions back to two helium atoms.

Cheers:   Axil