ChemE Stewart <cheme...@gmail.com> wrote:

Of course I agree with Jed.  This is the same plague that effects all of
> these devices.

Well, not the small scale cold fusion devices at places like SRI, thank
goodness. They are established beyond any rational doubt.

If I may be a little more serious about Rossi . . . It is clear to me that
his policy is the same as Patterson's was. He does not want credibility. He
*does not want* people to know for sure that his device is real -- or that
it is fake. (I assume it is real, mainly because there are a growing number
of credible nanoparticle Ni-H results.)

Rossi has repeatedly gone out of his way to prevent people from
independently confirming his claims. People including me. I could have
verified it to a far greater extent than it has been so far. I could have
done this easily in a few hours. He knows I could have. He put his foot
down. Let me repeat with emphasis, and let me make this clear: he told me
and he told several other people that *he will he will never allow
independent public testing*.

I and many others have proposed such tests. We could arrange them in a few
days. He says "no tests!" He means it. He only allows tests that will
remain secret under NDAs. As I have said here before, I know of some secret
tests. I never publish things without permission. The last thing I need is
to have researchers upset with me. I get in enough trouble with Rossi and
others when I say the sort of thing I am saying here, in this message.

I assume Rossi cultivates this ambiguity for the same reason Patterson did.
I doubt it is because he is trying to cover up a fraud, and I can't think
of any other reasons. Patterson and Reding both told me they wanted most
people to think they were wrong, or crazy, or frauds, because that gave
them "100% market share." I told him Patterson he would end up with 100% of
nothing. Needless to say, he took his technology and his market share to
the grave with him. I predicted he would. I predict Rossi will do the same
thing if he persists with this strategy. There is no chance you can keep
this secret to the extent he is trying to do yet also achieve commercial
success.

Rossi and Patterson also shunned mass media exposure. No kidding. They went
out of their way to make themselves look bad in the mass media. This is a
business strategy, not lunacy. It is a lousy strategy, in my opinion. It
usually fails.

Defkalion has done the same thing, by the way. Last January they said they
wanted tests with the results made public. Apparently they changed their
minds, or they changed the schedule. As far as I know, all tests done since
then have been under restrictive NDAs. I do not know if any of these NDAs
have a time limit. A little information has leaked out despite the NDAs. As
far as I can tell the tests have been unimpressive. But who knows? Until
they publish a complete independent data set, you don't know whether their
claims are valid. I see no point to speculating. It is a waste of time
trying to suss out information people do not want you to have.

Generally speaking, in my experience, the value of a technical claim is
inversely proportional to the level of secrecy applied to it.