The rules/policies are absolutely ok when applied by editors with
common sense or for non-controversial articles.

For articles on controversial topics a group of editors will feel that
they have to protect the article from "evil POV pushers". They have a
mission: "Wikipedia must not expound fringe ideas"

In some cases they do the right thing by deleting really bad sources,
but they have simply lost any form of perspective, they overshoot,
some willingly, some unwillingly. They turn the article into a "dark
alley" where only they rule. There is no way to evolve an article in
such atmosphere.
Those who tried all got blocked or banned, as there will always be a
reason to ban an editor. "polite POV pushing" is suffient.
Uninvolved editors who really enjoy working on wikipedia stay away
from controversial articles.

Wikipedia is based on consensus and just as crooks in a dark alley the
editors will have reached a consensus to misuse the rules/policies.

Example:
The indian scientific journal "current science" was dismissed by one
editor as "not reliable source", because they had published a paper by
Steven Krivit and it was argued that their peer review is not done
properly and that the journal is not significant. The atmosphere is
already so devoid from common sense that such a argumentation is
simply accepted by fellow editors, just to keep a paper from being
mentioned in the article.

Wikipedia fails with the set of editors that make up the consensus.

POVbrigand