At 04:48 PM 9/13/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Alan J Fletcher <<mailto:a...@well.com>a...@well.com> wrote:

Thanks to AK for the correct link (which I'd already fixed on the wiki -- though even my comments in talk have been "collapsed" -- and I'm being threatened with arbitration.)

'Dat's how it woiks at Wikipedia. First 'dey collapse you. 'Den they arbitrate you. You know: arbitrate! By sticking your feet in concrete, and taking you down to the docks for on a long walk on a short pier.

Metaphorically. But it is based on what ya' might call Prohibition era rum-runners' best practices, 6-sigma-like, such as how to deal with smart alecs who got no business in this neighborhood, askin' questions what ain't none of your business, see?!?

Well, very funny, Jed. However, Mr. Fletcher is essentially clueless as to what would be acceptable as a source for Wikipedia. I looked about and didn't see where he was "threatened with arbitration," which is weird. The last thing that the cabal wants is for their antics to go to arbitration, but, here, they'd win. Essentially, this would just go to Arbitration Enforcement -- which is not arbitration, it is where the "community" enforces arbitration decisions, in theis case Article Probation for cold fusion topics.

Of course, is the E-cat "cold fusion"? Wikipedia is a total mess in this area, and the people who knew how to clean it up, following policies and guidelines, mostly have been banned. (Pcarboon, myself, and, sort of, Jed, but Jed, you didn't ever really give a fig about Wikipedia policies. You were simply right most of the time, and blunt about it. Very irritating to the cabal.)

There is no way that anonymously published information can be reliable source for anything on Wikipedia, except for its own content. I.e., if there is some newpaper article, say, about some document that is anonymously published, and somehow it could be established that some particular page showed the document itself, and nobody was contesting that, then the document could be used to show the actual document text. However, *interpreting* that text would be prohibited. That's what ordinary reliable sources do. The document, at best, is a primary source. For the same reason, when push comes to shove, primary research is ordinarily not RS. Secondary sources are, if independently published, with the gold standard being peer-reviewed reviews of a matter, or academically published secondary sources.

That's what's truly hilarious about the Wikipedia cold fusion article. There is one truly major review of the field in recent years, Storms' paper in Naturwissenschaften, "Review of cold fusion (2010)" That was a *solicited* review, published by a mainstream and highly reputable publisher. There are many other reviews of cold fusion published since 2005 or so, I counted sixteen. All agree that cold fusion is a real phenomenon. There is nothing in the mainstream journals to contradict this.

The skeptical position essentially died, as to any living scientific advocacy. It's all students of the "I know better than you" or die-hard pseudoskeptic variety mouthing off, at this point, on the internet.

The sad thing, though, is that Wired just said a bunch of things about LENR that, though technically correct in some way or other, will reinforce the impression that cold fusion was "never reproduced." Which is total BS. What has happened is that variability of results, a known characteristic of the electrolytic PdD approach, has been confused with reproducibility. Lots of natural phenomena are chaotic, i.e., either the conditions are not known well enough to create exact replication, or some critical variable is not controlled.

With the FPHE, this is the palladium material, which shifts in nanostructure as it is loaded with deuterium, and which continues to shift with time.

But the heat/helium ratio is reproducible, and has been confirmed. The variation in palladium structure does not affect that, it only affects the magnitude of the results, not the ratio.

If editors cannot get the conclusions of the Storms review into the Wikipedia cold fusion article, Wikipedia policies and guidelines are being violated. And I attempted to confront this, I was essentially topic-banned for it. (By an administrator, violating a series of what I thought were established principles.) I was later site-banned, but only after completely giving up on due process on Wikipedia. The Arbitration Committee had refused to take the case.

Wikipedia process is impossibly cumbersome. One could work for months on getting a single source into an article, and even be supported by an RfC or other process, and then it's removed next month, using the same bankrupt arguments rejected in formal process. And nobody cares, and if you insist, why, obviously, you are POV-pushing. Never mind that a POV-pushing faction has been sitting on the article for years.

In a way, they are right. Someone who would persist at Wikipedia is a bit crazy.