I'm old, so I'm old school. I'm not a physicist, just an experienced
observer with a basic science education.

After a few months of intensive reading, I'm squarely in the "transmutation
don't get no respect" camp.

I particularly like this one:
http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Castellanonucleartra.pdf

No "particle acceleration". No electrolysis. In fact, no use of electricity
in the experimental setup. No disputable calorimetry - in fact no claims of
excess heat. The description of the experimental setup clearly implies
reasonable skill in materials handling and laboratory technique.

Result: a wide range of heavy-element transmutations. Wtf!?

And not just these guys. Also here:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTanomalousia.pdf

and here:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MileyGHnucleartra.pdf

and here:

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/conferences/2012/ICCF17/ICCF-17-Dash-Effect%20of%20Recrystallization-Paper.pdf

These results seem objective, widely replicated, and afaik inexplicable via
existing condensed-matter physics. Yet they get very little attention. I'm
new in this group, so help me out. The way I learned it, there ain't no
philosopher's stone, leaving aside well-understood high-energy fusion and
fission reaction processes.

What am I missing?

Jeff