Abd, thanks so much. It finally clicked for me after about three readings.
It's mostly an AC circuit, so it's hard to visualize the effect of the
current source from Figure 3A, which is either continuous DC or effectively
pulsed DC.

Viewed as a DC circuit, the left side of R3 is at the same potential as
J1-1/2 which is, indeed, the cathode. So the bulb/plug thing labeled "F04"
and "Cathode" in Figure 3C is indeed pretty close to being the cathode,
aside from the drop across R3, which is presumably small because it's just
there to provide a voltage drop for current sensing.

A few thoughts about the Q-pulses to follow this weekend.

Jeff