At 11:30 AM 10/16/2012, David Roberson wrote:
I know that I will have sparks and small flames as with the open system so now I would like to know if there is significant danger of explosion.  Is anyone aware of reports of a relatively low volume open to the air glass cell exploding and causing injury or damage to the surroundings?  Most of the jar volume will likely be filled with a mix of  hydrogen and oxygen plus room air.  I have not calculated the amount of energy contained within the captured hydrogen since a bad calculation could be dangerous.  Please give me guidance before I reconnect this beast as it now is on standby.

This paper looks at various combinations
http://conference.ing.unipi.it/ichs2005/Papers/120001.pdf

H2-Air  -- lower explosion limit is 4.3 mole% H2
H2-O -- lower explosion limit is 4 mole% H2

Can you put in a baffle or something to keep the H and O separate?
Maybe a U-tube would be better than a jar.