Hi,
[snip]
>It is a little difficult to imagine how we might pay for this kind of
>"trade." How could this be a commercial transaction in any sense?

Obviously the only system that would work is barter. IOW payment in kind.
BTW such a system will effectively have to wait at least until FTL
communications are achieved. Actual interstellar travel will be rare, and
restricted to those that wish to study other worlds at first hand in order to
acquire knowledge that is not readily traded. e.g. I can imagine that any given
race might be cautious about telegraphing their DNA into the cosmos, lest it be
used to create biological weapons (the only sort worth deploying at interstellar
distances.)
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk