James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> McKubre pointed that out. He suspects it is a concerted effort by several
>> leading members of the opposition.
>>

> This is why I refer to her as a "pawn" and wonder what was the point of
> this sacrifice.

This will not hurt her. Even if cold fusion triumphs, people will forget
that she played a minor role in opposing it. People such as Garwin and and
Frank Close may be held to account, but not her.

No matter what happens, many of the people who opposed cold fusion will
continue to play a major role in the scientific establishment. There are
not enough supporters to replace them. In his 1940 cabinet, Churchill kept
on many of Chamberlain's appointees. He later explained:

"If one were dependent on the people who had been right in the last few
years, what a tiny handful one would have to depend on."

I expect that Garwin, Close and the others will do fine. They will soon
modestly accept credit for bringing cold fusion to the world.