On Jan 29, 2013, at 10:57 AM, James Bowery wrote:

The "low wage" argument doesn't wash. The H-1b workers are not being paid below minimum wage and that's what the un/deremployed older engineers are getting. What is going on is an individualist culture is being taken over by, not one, but multiple nepotistic cultures.

This might be true on a few occasions, but it is not true throughout the economy based on my experience. I would like to hear from some people who actually decide whom to hire. Is this conclusion by David valid?

Ed

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote: Thanks Jim for making my comment more vivid. The situation is growing worse and your personal experience is one of many tragic consequences. The driving force behind hiring is the cost of labor. People from other countries are cheaper, the young are cheaper, and the robots are cheaper. This cost is not just salary. The cost of healthcare, pension, and general overhead is high. As you made clear, the quality of the person is not what matters in many industries, only the cost. The standard of living in the US is adjusting downward and everybody is suffering. When the inflation being created by the Federal Reserve increases in ernest, our pain will increase again.