The bulk of the new 2012 installations happened on Q4. This amounted total of
8380 MW new wind power. This would imply that the capacity factor in 2012 was
near 0.3 what is usually rounded up into ⅓.

Official: US Wind Power Accounted For 42% Of New Power Capacity In 2012, Beat
Natural Gas
http://cleantechnica.com/2013/01/31/us-wind-power/

Wind power is indeed coming in a gust, and and new wind is already cheaper than
new coal power. The price of wind electricity in US is something between $50 to
$80 per MWh what is quite competitive. There is still however a problem that
when there are high winds, market price for electricity tend to be low due to
high output of wind farms. Therefore small tariff would be good idea still to
maintain. That decreases the risk of installing new windmills and thus
accelerates the installation of new wind farms.

There is however interesting to see that battery technology is evolving rapidly
and the price point of batteries is nearly competitive. GE just introduced new
smart windmills that has also a grid level battery installed, they will to be
installed in Netherlands later this year.

Rapidly evolving battery technology is also good news for electric cars and EVs
could operate as great storage for fluctuating wind power output. Tesla will
introduce on later this year new 120 kWh version of Model S. On daily driving
usually 20 kWh is enough, therefore additional 100 kWh could be charged only
during high winds or when full charge is needed.

Also advanced blade materials are great. And carbon fibers could cut down the
cost of windmills quite significantly, perhaps 30 %. Also ultra strong and
ultra light graphene is coming and this could cut down the price even further.
We already have tennis rackets that are reinforced with graphene!

  —Jouni