In solving the baseload elex coal problem, I had to generate enough ammonia
to photosynthetically fix all fossil fuel elex CO2 into algal biomass.

One way I looked at was to carpet the Dakotas with wind energy generators
to drive conventional water electrolysis to generate hydrogen for the
Haber-Bosch process:

http://diogenesinstitute.org/index.php/Template:Cost_to_Build_Ammonia_Synthesis_Wind_Generators_($)

Yes, this doubles the electrical generation capacity of the US but the
storage and transmission medium is ammonia and that's all used up producing
algal biomass.

You'll notice that if you're allowed to include industrial learning curve,
the cost per installed watt comes in at around $3.50.