And then there is the report of Rossi and Defkalion.  Well, at least they
insist that their systems are working and I have my fingers crossed that one
day soon we will hear about good confirmation.

In my estimate, there is some evidence that these and others are seeing good
excess power.  The work on Pd D appears to be sound, so it would not surprise
me too much to find that nature has developed a method of extracting this form
of energy provided the ignition does not require more than she can muster.  I
agree that a small advantage could yield a large payoff for the organism that
is fortunate enough to unlock LENR.

If we pursue this line of reasoning, are you aware of any natural source of
energy that can be tapped at a relatively modest temperature not being used by
some life form?   The mid ocean ridges come to mind as an example of unusual
energy support.  Hot springs have abundant life within.  What about the energy
tapped by battery type action?   If I recall, there are some bacteria species
that eat through metal underwater.  Perhaps they use the water Ph as one side
of the reaction.  I am not aware of any life that uses the release of natural
radioactive decay energy to grow, but someone else might have good examples.

So, if it is assumed that LENR can be released at temperatures that  do not
result in the loss of life for all bacteria, then it might be expected to be
utilized.  I guess you could say I am making a point that life should be able
to live just about under any circumstances both on Earth and elsewhere.  That
initial step from chemical to life is the key.

Dave