James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are best calorimetric practices not so firmly established by now that
> virtually everyone with any degree of credibility agrees?

To some extent it is because no single calorimeter type works for every
kind of experiment. You have to look at the operating temperature, the size
of the cold fusion device and the absolute power. A glow discharge
experiment can only be done with some kind of bomb calorimeter, I think.

I do not mean to apologize for sloppy work or for people who do not read
the literature before doing experiments.

A technique that is perfectly reliable and believable with one device may
be useless with another. Rossi and the people who have tested his device
independently use conventional, off-the-shelve HVAC tools, such as a
shielded thermocouple and the kind of mechanical flow meter in millions of
houses worldwide. Because Rossi gets so much heat, with such small input
power, these instruments and techniques are perfect. In my opinion, you
could not improve on them with a million dollars in high precision
equipment. A conventional HVAC thermocouple measures to the nearest 0.1 deg
C. I would not be one bit more convinced with one that measures to 0.001
deg C, like the ones McKubre uses. Some people strongly disagree with me
about this.

Rossi's problem is not the techniques he uses, or even the instruments. It
is that he is sloppy. Unbelievably sloppy! I mean that literally: I do not
believe he is actually that sloppy, I think he is trying to cover up his
results and keep doubt alive. He could have made a few minor adjustments to
any of the tests he did in 2011 and made the results so bullet-proof, and
convincing, nearly everyone would believe him. For example, he had a
4-probe thermocouple that records on an SD-card. He used only 2 probes and
he did not insert a card, so the readings are lost, except for ones written
down at random times by poor, put-upon Lewan.

If Rossi had lifted a finger to insert the other probes a short distance
away in the outlet flow, and taken a moment to insert an SD card, his
results would be FAR more convincing. Two minutes of effort. I told him to
do this! I and others gave Rossi a list of things he should do to improve
his demonstrations. He ignored us. He is a smart person. I assume he did a
lousy job on purpose.