David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

Can you imagine a large flock of birds traveling through a windmill farm?
>  Avoiding two types of collisions at the same time might overpower their
> abilities.

It doesn't seem to be a problem, as far as I know. They do try to avoid
putting wind turbines on major migratory pathways.

There was quite a to-do about this when wind energy first become popular.
There were many studies. Wind turbines do kill ~500,000 birds and bats, but
mainly from environmental fragmentation and power lines, not the turbines
themselves. See:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=wind-turbines-and-bird-conflicts

As I said, birds are evolved to avoid whacking into things like tree
branches moving in the wind. Flocks of birds do this too. Generally
speaking, animals can do what they are evolved to do, but not something
they never encounter in the wild. Birds whack into glass windows because
there are no vertical mirrors in nature. People climb trees to shoot deer
because North American deer do not have predators who attack from above, so
they do not look up often.