There was a  simulation cited here previously where the gas atoms all start to
move in lockstep motion once the lattice is sufficiently loaded which
effectively means the motion of the bulk gas population becomes heavily linked.

From: Eric Walker [mailto:eric.wal...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 2:34 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM, David Roberson
<dlrober...@aol.com<mailto:dlrober...@aol.com>> wrote:

How tightly are they actually connected when in a metal crystal?  I can see how
it might be possible to obtain a very large Q if the nucleus is weakly
restrained by the electrons.  The spring analogy is a good one and it is
interesting that you were able to obtain a spring constant equivalent for the
mass to stretch and relax as it moves up and down, etc.

We should not make the connections between lattice points too loose, or our
rigid metal sheet will turn into rubber.  It seems like a single metallic bond
between two metal atoms may allow for some springy movement, but I'm guessing
that the Brillouin zone as a whole will be somewhat rigid.

Eric