As Dr. Storms has already tried NiAl, I'm giving the following a try:
 Constantan wire with aluminum wire twisted around it in electrolysis with
KOH.  It appears to be producing hydrogen very vigorously at the cathode.
 I've also considered wrapping nickel in aluminum foil.  Seems like it
can't hurt to have more hydrogen available for loading, but I don't know
that this will be advantageous compared with a gas-loaded cell.