My prediction:
So many oil dollars will jump on this possibility of unleashed radioactive doom that they will squash any progress in cold fusion. That aspect is not a particularly a good thing. But it will happen.

Abetting this will be the horde of semi-literate tea party types, ready to fear whatever the Koch brothers tell them to fear.

We will (after too long) be buying our heat gadgets from the Chinese, maybe on the black market.

Ol' Bab, who sometimes gets a bit pessimistic.