Duncan Cumming <spacedr...@cumming.info> wrote:

> Power measurement was done using a wide band 3 phase power meter, a
> notoriously difficult instrument to use. A slight slackening of one of the
> current sensing clamps . . .

This would be detected during the calibration with a resistor, and again
during the calibration with a blank cell. (In an interview Essen said they
calibrated with a resistor.)

> . . .  a particle of grit (or Scotch tape) on the clamp face, or
> mis-threading of the cables through the clamps would give lower than actual
> power readings.

This would be caught by the resister test, I believe.

> A controller could easily be designed to bamboozle such a power meter . . .

Rossi could only do this if he knew in advance which meter they were
bringing.

> In short, the power measurement could have been fiddled very easily.

I doubt it. If it were that easy for a power meter to fail, electrical and
electronic equipment all over Atlanta would be burning up every day. My
point is that "fiddling" with equipment is functionally the same as making
a mistake, only people make mistakes far more often they deliberately make
fake results. People make mistakes every day all day long and yet our
electrical equipment survives.