-----Original Message-----
From: MarkI-ZeroPoint

>> "We know that Ni powder sinters at the temperature being produced"

> What about adding some small amount of some other element to raise the
sintering/melting temp; commonly done in alloying.

Look no further than the hydride, but beware."Nickel hydride" has a number
of specialized meanings in metallurgy - one of which is a true alloy made by
combining nickel and a small amount of hydrogen under pressure. Once alloyed
properly, the proton does not come out of this alloy before it is melted.

If there is about one hydrogen atom absorbed for every fourteen nickel
atoms, the properties are very different from common NiH (stoichiometric) or
anything in between. Here is a picture of the FCC crystal, which represents
possibly the best way that nickel reacts gainfully to produce a 300 eV
photon. There are fourteen Ni atoms and the crystal will absorb only one
proton. More hydrogen than one converts the structure to another phase.

http://dic.academic.ru/pictures/wiki/files/50/200px-FCC_crystal_structure.sv
g.png

Nickel hydride with optimum hydrogen content is harder, stronger and more
resistant to sintering at the expense of ductility. Normally, nickel is the
face-centered cubic or FCC structure called alpha-nickel. As soon as
anything more disruptive than a single proton alloys with it, it tends to go
into the beta-phase, which has a different crystal structure.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/uploads/RTEmagicC_AnnealingPaperClips
-BCC_02.png.png

Hydrogen atoms bond strongly with any nickel surface (either alpha or beta)
so for now, we are only talking about crystal properties and phases for
fully alloyed hydrides.

Bottom line: In this alternative interpretation of Millsean hydrogen deep
redundancy (to below ground state) - it can happen several ways - one of
which is when a proton is lodged in the center of a true alpha-nickel FCC
crystal.

That does not happen unless the nickel alloy is specially made with only a
lesser amount of hydrogen being absorbed (few parts per thousand by mass).
However, this can happen inadvertently if nickel is aged under pressure in
hydrogen for an extended time period (weeks).

If one is very lucky and gets it right... or else if one knows where to buy
the right hydrided alloy - bingo. (perhaps it is made by a dwarf who lives
in the cellar in an Italian castle :)

Jones