On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      A match is needed to ignite a firecracker, but once ignited, the
>> explosion sustains itself.
>>

>>  A match is needed to start a campfire, but not to sustain it.
>>

> Cold fusion is not fire. It does not work the same way.

Well, no. Nuclear reactions are different. I was just disputing the idea
that the concept of keeping cold fusion going with external heat is a
simple extrapolation from other sources of heat that require external heat
to keep them going. It's not.

> Evidently, Rossi's reactor requires external stimulation to keep the
> reaction under control.

Not "evidently". Allegedly.

That's what he claims to give an excuse for attaching a source of power.
But the problem is, if it's heat, how does it know that it's external? Heat
just produces a temperature in the fuel. If the heat from the fuel can
maintain that temperature, how can adding heat stabilize it?

As I said, this is conceivable if the external heat is more concentrated
(at a higher temperature), but in the hot cat, it must be more diffuse, and
at a lower temperature.

> That's how it works. You cannot dictate to Mother Nature how things must
> work. If you unplug a Rossi cell and try to make it self-sustain without
> input, it will melt.

But just turning off the input power stops the reaction? How can it do both?