On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> This is a good start Josh.  I think I can explain that to you since you
> seem to be a pretty sharp guy.

Thank you Mr Roberson for that kind compliment.

Unfortunately it also takes an explanation that is realistic and a sharp
guy to explain it. And you seem to be a guy who thinks he's a lot sharper
than he is.

I wish you'd look at my much simpler intuitive argument, and tell me what's
wrong with it. For example, if 360 W from the outside can trigger the
reaction, why would 1.6 kW from the inside not sustain it?

I get that the basic claim is that the reaction power alone is not enough
to maintain the reaction, so it decays toward zero, but the sum of the
external and reaction powers is enough to make it grow, even to a
temperature at which runaway occurs. But the problem is that it seems
unlikely that a plausible temperature dependence of the reaction rate and
of heat loss would produce that situation, given the constraints
represented by the claimed observations. In particular, the much higher
output power compared to the input power. While they claim a COP of 3 or 6
for the device, that would correspond to a much higher COP for the fuel
itself, because much less than half of the input heat would reach the fuel.

As I see it, you only need to postulate how the reaction rate depends on
temperature, and how the heat loss depends on temperature to determine what
will happen to the system. For a given input power and temperature, you can
then calculate the net power (total power produced by the external plus
reaction minus the heat loss). If that's positive, it will get hotter, if
negative it will cool down. When it encounters a change in sign it will
stabilize, A sign change (or zero net power) occurs when the heat loss is
equal to external power plus the reaction power, much like the sun is
stable with it's heat loss balancing its reaction rate. If the net power is
positive, and it grows with temperature, then you get a runaway condition.

In my brief tests I only used simple functions (of the temperature for the
reaction rate, and of the temperature difference from ambient for the heat
loss), and if the system is designed to be stable at 2 kW output for 360 W
input, as in the December run, the removal of the input always left a
system stable at a somewhat lower temperature. The reason is that the
reaction rate has to grow quickly at the beginning to keep the total input
power ahead of the heat loss so it is always positive until it reaches the
2 kW level in the December test. In my calculations, if it grows fast
enough to ensure that it reaches 2 kW, where the sign changes by design,
then removal of the external drive doesn't quench it. This is true even
assuming all 360 W reach the fuel. Realistically, far less than half would,
especially at the higher temperatures, and this makes removal of the
external even less significant.

Now, it is surely possible to contrive a reaction rate dependence and a
heat loss dependence to make it quench without the external heat, but it's
far from obvious that it would be realistic, and that one could engineer
the necessary dependence, particularly in so many and varied
configurations.

So, that's why I asked what your proposed functional dependences are that
would give the observed behavior. How does the reaction rate depend on
temperature, and how does the heat loss depend on temperature? And are they
realistic dependences?

But the real question, which is what raised the issue to begin with, is
*why bother* trying to engineer these dependences. You and Storms admit
that Rossi has difficult engineering challenges to make such a system
stable with a high COP. Why would he make it so difficult for himself? No
sane person would do it this way. If the reaction rate depends on
temperature, and there is danger of runaway, then the obvious way to
control it is with thermostatically controlled cooling. And then you could
easily make it self-sustaining, by adjusting the cooling to give any
temperature necessary. Instead he adds heat with the pretense of
controlling the heat, because of course, that may be all the heat he's
actually got.

It's like so many cold fusion claims. It's not that there is an obvious
alternative explanation for the apparent excess heat. It's that there are
far more direct, straightforward, transparent, and well-established ways to
demonstrate it that are not used. It seems like the claims only occur when
the experiment is unnecessarily indirect and complex. So, I think it's a
waste of time analyzing results like this. Do the experiment with an
isolated finite power source, with flow calorimetry that integrates heat in
a visual way, and do it under public scrutiny without restrictions on
observers, and then the world will change. As Aesop's fable "The leap at
Rhodes" finshes: "No need of witnesses. Suppose this city is Rhodes. Now
show us how far you can jump."

> The ECAT operates as a device with a positive temperature coefficient
with respect to heat.  At low temperatures there is little if any extra
heat being internally produced by the core.  When the drive electronics
heats the resistors they conduct heat to the core of the device which rises
in temperature as a result.  There is a functional relationship between the
core temperature and the heat it produces.  I have tried numerous functions
and they all behave in a somewhat related fashion.  The exact one in play
by Rossi's device is hidden at this point so don't try to muddy the water
by asking for that knowledge since you like to avoid the main issues.

That's not avoidance. I'm just asking for an example of a functional
relationship that would work.

> The ECAT core finds itself driving a thermal resistance that depends upon
the system design.  The functional relationship of core heat released
versus temperature can be differentiated throughout it operating range.
Now, if you take the product of the thermal resistance and the above
derivative you will find a temperature above which this result is greater
than 1.

The resistance is presumably constant, so this means the function must have
a slope that increases with temperature. Is that the case? I'd need to see
this equality justified, and as I see it, it's not necessary. The thermal
resistance will go into the temperature dependence of the heat loss. But we
can skip the details and just give the resulting dependence. It should be
stronger than linear because the temperature difference which determines
the conductance will depend on the radiation from the outside, which has a
4th power dependence. Anyway, thermal resistance has an area factor, so
you're talking about a surface power density here or your product is not
dimensionless.

> This is the first temperature which I call critical and is where the
positive feedback gain is greater than 1.

> If the ECAT is left in this region, it can go either higher in
temperature with an ever increasing rate toward destruction, or cool off
and return back to room temperature.

> This is the point that it is important for you to acknowledge.  Do you
accept that this is possible so that we can continue further into the
details?  If you state that it is not possible for any heat to be generated
by the core, then the rest of the discussion is not worth pursuing.

I will not play Simplicio to your Salviati, because it's a terribly
inefficient way to present an explanation in this sort of a forum (unless
you write both sides, as Galileo did) and involves guessing about your
absent justifications. If you have an explanation, present it, start to
finish, and actually, all I'm interested in is the temperature dependencies
I mentioned. That's how it's normally done. In fact, I'm surprised you
haven't already written it up and published it. Quite apart from cold
fusion, using input heat to control positive thermal feedback would be a
novel and interesting presentation in its own right. You could submit it to
some prestigious engineering transactions. At the very least JCMNS would
eat it up. And you should be prepared for when Rossi is universally
accepted, because then you could get your explanation published straight
away in Nature or Science or PRL, and you'd be famous.

The snail's pace at which you are proceeding looks a little like you're
stalling -- like you're hoping to trip me up or find a disagreement so you
can plead futility without actually having to present the full story, for
whatever reason.

I have no problem with the possibility of a critical temperature above
which runaway occurs, but I don't like vague descriptions like "it can go
either way" without specifying what determines which way it goes. And
without knowing how the heat loss and reaction rate depend on temperature,
I am not prepared to say one exists in this case, or that it would be
reached given the constraints of the observations.

So write up a complete explanation for how you think external heat controls
positive thermal feedback, and I'll have a look at it. All I really want is
the two dependencies, but you may want to elaborate.

Unfortunately, I'm traveling for the next few weeks, and so this is the my
last batch of posts for some time. But I will respond when I have time
again. That gives you a little time to put together a nice presentation.
Most people, I think, much prefer to have the whole presentation laid out.
That's why people don't publish theories one paragraph at a time, and ask
for approval on each step. And, like I said, if it's a solid explanation,
it will be well worth your while, because it will make an impressive
publication whether or not cold fusion has merit.