Think of civilization as a very primitive multicellular organism that takes
humans and turns them into asexual cells that perform various specialized
functions.  When I say "very primitive" I mean you have to look back _far_
beyond 600 million years ago (the point at which cellular specialization
reached its pinnacle in sexual reproduction) to find anything among
multicellular organisms this primitive.  The "people" are an illusion.
 They aren't people.  They're poorly functioning specialized cells --
poorly functioning since they retain vestiges of their sexual individuality.

Given that picture, you can start to see how these immobile organisms would
have ridiculous immune systems and would be riddled with peripatetic
parasites that jump from organism to organism exploiting their weaknesses
and moving on before death of the organism.  One of the key features of a
virulent parasite like this is that it attack any nascent immune system and
take it over -- sort of the way HIV infects the stem cells that are
supposed to produce white blood cells and causes them to, instead, churn
out HIV.  The organisms these parasites infect are maintained in an utterly
clueless state.

So basically, you have to figure out how to trick the parasites into doing
something that is more like what they would evolve to do if they
werevertically transmitted (hence forced to evolve symbiosis) rather
than
horizontally transmitted from immobile host to immobile
host<http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_ewald_asks_can_we_domesticate_germs.html>.
 Careful, though.... if you are to open about what you are doing --
exposing the parasites as parasites -- there are mechanisms set up to sic
the host immune system on you.