Chris Zell <chrisz...@wetmtv.com> wrote:

 Saying "except for the explosion" is rather Pythonesque.  Hopefully, they
> have enough helium.

I am sure they will. They don't waste it. They only need to replace that
which leaks out.

It tells you something about people in the 1930s that they were willing to
fly in these things. The Hindenburg cost more than a first-class ocean
liner. It was only a little faster; 3 days versus 5. You could make the
trip in perfect safety and the same level of luxury on a ship, yet the
Hindenburg was booked full on every trip, I believe. You would think that
after the R101 explosion in 1930 no one would want to fly in one.

People were more cavalier about danger even in the 1950s and 60s. Everyone
knew that cigarettes cause cancer even before the 1964 Surgeon General's
report, yet people smoked. There was great resistance to seat belts when
they were first introduced. I have never understood why. Years ago I read a
document published in the 1950s (I think it was) saying something like:
'The best way to reduce casualties and injuries in an automobile collision
would be to use belts to hold the passengers in their seats, but obviously
this method is out of the question. . . ."