Jed,

I think the phrase "low-energy nuclear reactions" must have been inspired
by current claims.  On p.5, under the "PROGRAM OVERVIEW", it states -

 "This announcement is purposely broad in scope to encourage the
  submission of the most innovative, out-of-the-box ideas in energy
  technology. Since the first law of thermodynamics states that energy
  is always conserved, i.e. it can never be created or destroyed, our
  principal concern is with the conversion of energy into useful energy
  or maximizing usable energy (exergy). Useful energy can take many
  forms including: radiant energy from lights, electrical energy for
  appliances, thermal energy to heat homes, mechanical energy for
  transportation, chemical energy in the form of food, and energy used
  to make products. From the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy
  of a system cannot decrease when converting energy from one form to
  another (¦¤S ¡Ý 0), the end effect being that all useful energy humans
  consume ultimately results in the production of heat that is radiated
  into space, except for a few exceptions such as the energy embedded in
  products. It is therefore our endeavor to identify technologies that
  enable the efficient and cost-effective conversion between or within
  the various different forms of energy (Figure 2) while minimizing
  exergy destruction. Within this general framework, ARPA-E seeks
  transformative ideas that enable the most efficient, economical,
  sustainable, and environmentally benign conversion of energy while
  minimizing exergy destruction."

On p.8, item 3 of section "AREAS SPECIFICALLY NOT OF INTEREST" excludes -

(Projects which)"Are not based on sound scientific principles (e.g.,
violates a law of thermodynamics)"

Most current LENR theories do not violate the conservation laws.
So, I believe they are eligible under these criteria.

Hopefully, the submissions will be made public, along with the reasons
for the awards or denials.

-- LP