After developing my latest computer thermal feedback model of Rossi's ECAT, I
realized that it would be a good exercise to look back at some of the earlier
demonstrations that he conducted to see if the data presented made sense from
my model's perspective.  After a lot of staring and playing with numbers, I
found that there appears to be reasonable correlation.

To save time and words I assume that anyone who is following this document has
access to the data generated during that test.  If you need assistance locating
it send me a note since it is currently online.

In October 2011 test Rossi has his ECAT attached to a heat exchanger and Mats
Lewan was present to help gather data and publish it on his nyteknik.se site.
The data collected is quite extensive and temperature readings are taken on
approximately every 2 seconds.  This is a large file and contains a great deal
of useful information to analyze.

The first section of the temperature curve for the ECAT box mainly begins at
12:32 where full power is applied to the device, which is this case is
approximately 2700 watts.  This level of drive is more than enough to cause the
core of the ECAT to reach the positive feedback loop gain of greater than unity
operational region.  If left at this drive level for too long, the ECAT will
reach meltdown and that is why the input power is dropped to 0 watts at 14:00.
Rossi then proceeds to drive the input with a pulse width modulated waveform
until one last final large drive period is engaged.  A sample of these drives
are as follows:0 watts at 14:00,Full Power at 14:10,0 watts again at 14:20,Full
at 14:37, and etc.

I performed a quick analysis of these drive pulses and see that the average
power is roughly 1/2 the maximum level.  The pulses occur rapidly enough to be
smoothed out by the thermal time constants of the ECAT.  The level at which
Rossi began to apply this 1/2 power waveform appears to be slightly below the
temperature which would result in a continuous rise in core temperature and
generated power.  This is evidenced by the slow fall off in the box temperature
data during the time that the input function is applied.  If you look at the
temperature curve from 14:36 to  15:09 you will observe that the temperature is
falling off at a moderate rate.  My model suggests that he could have actually
chosen a point in time to begin the PWM waveform that would have generated a
truly flat curve throughout this region, but the system positive feedback gain
would have made it next to impossible to hold that state over a large time
period.  To obtain flat performance, Rossi would have had to apply the initial
full power curve for slightly longer to allow the core temperature and thus
generated power an opportunity to increase.

In the case we are studying, Rossi proceeded to apply full power at 14:59 and
again, this is sufficient to allow the core to reach a state of thermal run
away if continued for long enough.  But a stable demonstration was his goal so
he cut off the drive to the device at 15:53 and allowed the system to continue
operation with virtually no input drive power until the end of the
demonstration.   When the high drive level was immediately reduced to zero
there is a moderate delay during which the box temperature rises and then
begins to fall off rapidly.   The shape of this temperature falloff mimics that
expected according to my model.  It suggests that the slope of the falling
curve has an inflection point at the temperature where the positive feedback
loop gain exactly reaches unity.  This is also the temperature at which the
negative resistance is extinguished for those of us who like to view the world
in that manner.   Once the box temperature falls below this value, the ECAT has
only one way to go and that is to cut off.

The core will continue to generate excess power during all of the time that it
is held at an elevated temperature by heat storage.  This will contribute to
the total output energy measured during the test, but there is no chance for it
to reach another state of power increase unless the input power is reapplied.
I am not able to calculate the amount of excess energy that originates from the
core without much more sophicated information and that appears to be impossible
to obtain at this time due to trade secrets, etc.

The good news is that I can understand what is transpiring during the test by
consulting my computer model.  It must reflect the operation of the ECAT to a
reasonable degree so I feel confident that the model is useful.

Dave