Especially for Stewart,

Here is a rather hilarious "perspective" piece about the recently concocted
"problems" of bird-kills at alternative energy sites, especially wind
energy, mostly concocted by born-again bird lovers with the WSJ as their new
ally.

http://climatecrocks.com/2013/05/20/why-coal-and-nuclear-plants-kill-far-mor
e-birds-than-wind-power/comment-page-2/

Fossil fuel plants kill about 24,000,000 birds annually. Building windows in
cities kill about 97,000,000.

OK. Yes, there is one confirmed kill at the new Mojave solar plant, and it
was a nasty looking BBQ job deluxe, yikes... the stench is almost as bad as
WSJ reporting.

...but, can we really extrapolate that there will be hundreds more in a vast
desert with almost no birds to begin with ?

Even so, is this a major ecological problem which favors coal instead of
solar? Hey, they do not call it the Mojave desert for nothing.

BTW, feral cats nab 110,000,000 per annum ... so why don't we see that story
on the pro-coal, foxterized WSJ op-ed pieces?

                Bah... political hucksterism at its worst. You should see
through this negativism for what it is, Stewart. There is no "floundering".
This facility opens on time, and the next one will too. What is the real
objection here?

                Nonsense, as to economics. The bottom line is favorable for
California. Maybe there are too many rainy days in Georgia, or too many fowl
Texans, to make a go there - but we already know that good solutions for one
spot are not workable everywhere, especially when payola is involved.

                Who would have guessed the positive impact of solar in
Germany, of all places?

                The dirty-coal-backed anti-solar lobby is suddenly wanting
to protect what ? ... desert birds? ... give me a break. How many birds die
flying into the toxic exhaust of a coal or natural gas plant? Answer - many
more per megawatt than solar.

                Evolution at work. The local bird population will learn to
avoid the towers. Anyway, this solar facility is in one of the driest
deserts in the USA. There is little water in the desert. Birds need water.
Get it? The problem is de minimis. Hundreds of birds die crashing into tall
building every day, but we do not stop building tall buildings because of
lost bird habitat.

                These criticisms stink like a Faux News hatchet job. Never
mind the facts, money speaks the truth to Rupert in a way that only money
can.

                Jones

                                From: ChemE Stewart

                                $2.2B  Boondoggle

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/obama-backed-israeli-solar-
project-flounders-california

http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/02/nevadas-massive-solar-plant-death-ra
y-birds/358244/

                                Even Jed's robots can't save it, if they
existed :)

                                I agree on the nuclear.