Jed, the procedures you and we describe improve the chance of creating a
working cathode but this does not make it 100%.  McKubre also had good success,
but only as long as he used Pd from a particular source. Other people have had
the same experience. The source and the treatment are both important but a
person only has control over the treatment.

Some sources are better than others. Violante has created a source with a high
probability for success but this Pd is not generally available. The Pd-B made
by NRL is said to have high probability, but this material is also not
generally available. Why the source is important is a matter of debate, with
the argument being determined by theory. If we had a laboratory able to combine
these ideas and apply them using modern equipment, we might find the solution.

Ed Storms

Ed