Then it is easy to see how someone like JT He who reviewed the evidence
could come up with 14000 replications.

Let's say that, using Ed's figure of 1060 reports, that an average of 14
cells were successful for each experiment.  That would get you the 14000
figure very quickly.  And I've seen   indications that some of these guys
were getting more than a hundred cells to work.