I just found that version of the history of Bruno :
- he was burned
- but for serious herezy, telling god was rather a magician...
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03016a.htm

the manipulation of history is confirmed, but the question is how far.
the previous authors deny the presence of confirmed evidence of his
burning, saying he was rather jailed.